One month to lift off, folks. So, let’s have some fun of the BEWARE THE WILD variety.
And since it’s not a party until someone says nice things about my debut novel, allow me to kick things off right with a trifecta:
“A lovely modern fairy tale as tangled and dark as the swamp it lurks in. Parker’s debut is American myth at its very best!” —Kiersten White, NYT bestselling author
“Parker has a nice touch with the Southern flavor of Sterling’s Louisiana town, steeped in superstition and silence…This engaging debut should enjoy a wide audience.” —Kirkus Reviews
“A creepy, atmospheric book that will draw readers in…Beware the Wild breathes new life into the teen supernatural genre.” —School Library Journal
Now, it’s a party. And I’ve made all sorts of goodies for you, including the GIFs above. I’m giving away bookmarks for marking books, book plates (of which there are two designs and you must pick only one, Highlander style), magnets for magging nets, and I <3 YA Books bumper stickers. All are absolutely free with your pre-order of BEWARE THE WILD.
This post is going to be long enough as is, so let’s get right to it. I’m celebrating in two ways:
1. FREE STUFF:
- Pre-order BEWARE THE WILD in hardback or ebook format from your favorite chain, independent, or online retailer, such as: IndieBound | Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository
- Submit proof of purchase (email, scan, photo, etc. of your receipt) at firstname.lastname@example.org, along with a valid mailing address.
- On October 21st, 2014, you will be mailed a signed bookmark, your choice of a cherry blossom or gator head bookplate, a fancy schmancy magnet, and an I <3 YA Books bumper sticker. (NOTE: These bumperstickers will accompany me on the Roadside YA Tour in late October. The only ways to acquire these is to pre-order now or attend a tour event later).
- Submissions for the giveaway close October 20th, 2014 at 11:59pm PST.
Now, because BEWARE THE WILD and BLUE LILY, LILY BLUE come out on the very same day and because one day long ago Maggie said to me, “Parker, stop whinging and write something good,” it’s cosmically significant that I find myself in possession of one of the oh-so-rare ARCs of BLLB. To keep myself good with the cosmos, I’m passing this good fortune on to one of you.
In addition, I’m giving away a small bundle of some of my favorite collections of words. They are: THE PARABLE OF THE SOWER by Octavia Butler, SAVING FRANCESCA by Melina Marchetta, THE BOOK OF THREE by Lloyd Alexander, and THE DARK IS RISING by Susan Cooper.
One winner will get all 5 books.
2. BOOK PRIZE:
- Reblog this post and you will be automatically entered to win the stack of my favorite books along with the ARC of Maggie Stiefvater’s BLUE LILY, LILY BLUE. Only one reblog per person will be counted!
- Tweet some version of “Pre-order BEWARE THE WILD! Enter to win an ARC of BLUE LILIY, LILY BLUE! *include a link to this post here* #bewarethewild” for a bonus second entry. NOTE: Please use the hashtag so I can find it!
- For all the usual reasons, this contest is only open to those with a valid North American mailing address. (I wish it wasn’t so!)
- Submissions for the contest close September 30th, 2014 at 11:59pm PST.
- Just to be absolutely, 100%, no bones about it clear: no pre-order is necessary to enter this contest.
Good luck! Thank you! And So Say We All!
If you don’t know your personality type, take the test here. (spoiler, it’s myers-briggs.)
Hah. I am INTJ. SUPER Judgy. (Sorry! not sorry)
No one tagged me for this, but I wanted to try :P
Apparently I’m the same personality type as
Jafar from Aladdin
Light Yagami and Near from Death Note
Four (Tobias Eaton) from Divergent
Severus Snape and Lord Voldemort from Harry Potter
Hah….. INTJ is perfect for villain… :P
Want to win an exclusive signed print (one of only TWO in the world) by Hugo-award winning artist John Picacio?
"El Venado" was inspired by Shadow and Bone, the first book in the Grisha Trilogy. (If you look closely, you’ll see the firebird, the sea whip, and the Darkling’s symbol.) The final version will be part of John’s Loteria series, and this beautiful sketch shows the first stage of the work’s development. This archival print is one of only two in the world (I own the other!), and you can win it. Here’s how:Attending Loncon? Get any book in the Grisha Trilogy signed by me at my autograph session (Saturday, 8/16 @11am) or Kaffeeklatsch (Sunday @10am, sign up required) and be entered to win.
Attending DragonCon? Get any book in the Grisha Trilogy signed by me at my autograph session (time & location tba) and be entered to win.Not going to be at the cons?You can still win a prize package that includes John’s signed 2014 Loteria Calendar (the year is almost over but the art is poster sized and gorgeous), a limited edition Loteria sketchbook, a signed first edition of Shadow and Bone, and a poster of the book’s map by artist Keith Thompson.
Just post the image above to twitter or instagram or reblog this post on tumblr using hashtags #GrishaArmy AND either #Loncon3 or #DragonCon2014 and you’ll be entered to win!
Contest closes September 1st. Winners will be chosen at random and announced in September. Open internationally.
*On a personal note: I’m a huge fan of John’s work. I was lucky enough to meet him at Worldcon in 2011, and seeing him create art inspired by one of my books is pretty much a dream come true.
As you’ve hopefully noticed, we are doing a huge giveaway as we move into our new season! We’re giving away different items on our various social media platforms, including signed books, books on writing, critiques and books that YOU get to choose! On Tumblr we are giving away a GORGEOUS…
Watching this (and fearing broken ankles with each loop) I can’t helping thinking about that old quote Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, except backwards and in high heels.
But no, if you watch closely you’ll see she doesn’t even step on the last chair. That means she had to trust that fucker to lift her gently to the ground while he was spinning down onto that chair. That takes major guts. I’d be pissing myself and fearing a broken neck if I were in her place. Kudos to her.
I can’t stop watching this.
This looks like love.
Our ALA event recap is posted! We chatted with so many great authors and publicists, and are so excited about the upcoming YA season.
We also have giveaways for the #heiroffire tote tote (international) and the ARCs pictured!
Photographs by The Midnight Garden.
Just can’t wait for SLA? Here’s a nice little snippet from Chapter Three to quench your snowy thirst! This is a flashback scene that Meira remembers moments before she is supposed to sneak into a Spring city.
Reblog this and at 7PM EST TODAY, I’ll randomly choose one winner to receive a…
Sleepy Hollow season 2 clip
Clintasha 4/10 AUs | "Soulmates"
↳"Where everything is black and white until you meet your soulmate."
"Impossible... you can't be!"
"Sir, we got a problem."
I like it.
Can they just make a movie baby already??
so my mom brought home one of the new 100 dollar bills
I’m looking at it like “yeah this looks kinda cool”
but then you flip it over and
it looks like it has fucking wordart on it
They literally fucking used WordArt
OMG I’M DYING
70% of editing is just looking at ur work for a few hours with this face
true for drawing
true for video editing
true for writing
TRUE FOR CODING HTML
- I want this story to be written
- I don’t want this story to be written by anyone but me
- I don’t want to write this story
She’s 50 years old
She’s older than both Robert Downey Jr and Mark Ruffalo.
and she does all her own stunts
AND she’s the voice of Mulan
I enjoy reblogging this because A) Ming-Na Wen, and B) Who needs another reason but C) Goodness, watching her break that is kind of awesome, and Clark Gregg just standing there and holding it is also kind of awesome.